This priory is the first and only convent in the Vaudois Alps...
Rougemont Church was built around 1080 by the monks of Cluny whom the Count of Gruyère had asked to build a monastery.
Rougemont thus belongs to the same spiritual family as the abbeys of Payerne and Romainmôtier. The sanctuary was dedicated to Saint Nicolas of Myre, IV century martyr, patron saint of children, whose feast day is the 6th December.
The church has not undergone any important alterations apart from the chancel, the transept and the steeple. It is built in the Romanesque style according to the classic clunisien model: in the form of a latin cross. The side aisles hold up the nave, which is high. The chancel has three apses. On the transept crossing a square tower protects the bells.
This plan was modified, particularly during the Bernese period. The transept was made shorter, the chevet of the chancel enlarged, a single roof, steeply pitched, has replaced those of the nave and the side aisles. A pointed Oberland-style steeple replaced the low Romanesque roof of the tower.
The Bernese period brought still more changes. The Reform was preached from 1555 in Rougemont and the church went over to the reformed services. As to the priory, it was demolished and replaced by a bailiff ' s castle. The tombstones, which are preserved in the church concern family members of the Bernese bailiffs.
An important restoration, from 1919 to 1926, brought to light the stonework, which had been covered by five layers of plaster. The roof of the nave was transformed into a wooden vault. The artist, Correvon at this moment, undertook the paintings based on XIII century designs. The central stained glass window (Rivier) is consecrated to Christ; the side ones (Delachaux) recall the donation of Rougemont to the monks of Cluny and the preaching of the Reform.
There are 4 bells in the steeple, three dating from the XV century; the fourth was cast for the 900th anniversary of Rougemont.
The church of Rougemont
Route de Flendruz 1
From Jan 1, 2017 To Dec 31, 2017