La Pierreuse is the largest nature reserve in western Switzerland. The ascent to the Plan de la Douve, located at 2041 m, offers panoramic views of the Rocher Plat, the Gummfluh and the Rocher du Midi.
This summit is located between Les Salaires and Coumatta, at the western end of the Gummfluh. Your starting point is the hamlet of Gérignoz.
During the first climb, walk along the Gérine stream. When you leave the forest, you will catch sight of the imposing Gummfluh, a mountain that characterizes the Pays-d'Enhaut.
Then follow the tracks to La Case, a small alpine hut. Regain your strength here with a sip of tea before facing the final climb to Le Plan de la Douve, where you will be rewarded by a splendid view over western Switzerland.
The whole area is a part of the La Pierreuse nature reserve. Many animals live in this area. Keep your eyes peeled on the way up and you might spot a group of ibexes.
The proposed itinerary is not marked or safe. Before setting off, find out about the weather, snow conditions and avalanche risks. Never go alone and take a telephone and emergency equipment (avalanche beacon, probe and shovel). (www.guideservice.ch)
- Length : 6 km
- Difference in altitude : 1100 m
- Accessible from December to April (subject to snow conditions)
- Difficulty : PD, in S4 then S3, presents some difficulties
- Quiet zone for the fauna, only the routes posted on the "Respecting is protecting" website are authorised
- Unmarked routes
- Risk of avalanches. Check the avalanche zones before going to the mountains (www.slf.ch)
- The outward journey and the return journey are on the same route
- By car : free parking at Gérignoz
- By train : via the MOB line (stop "Château-d'Œx - Les Granges"). 10 minutes walk to Gérignoz
A second route to the summit is possible from Rougemont. Take the La Videmanette ski lifts. Ski from the summit and join the nature reserve to the Gérine.