South side, Ciernes Picat
On the way up, cross the 1164m bridge over the Ciernes Picat stream and then reach the chalets de la Cluse to the W. Return to the valley and go around the forest on the left and return to the right above Paray Doréna. Reach obliquely the foot of the rocky cliff, partially covered with snow, defending the access to the Vanil Noir. Then cross the cliff via the snowy slabs on the right bank. As soon as possible, take the steep valley on the right that leads to the Creux de Combe. From there, climb directly to the E ridge of the Vanil Noir which is reached just to the right of the summit.
For the descent, the same route is proposed. Do not attempt to pass the left bank bar area as it is extremely exposed to avalanches!
- duration: 6h
- altitude difference: 1220m
- accessible between February and April (sufficient snow is needed, it must be transformed for the conditions to be safe)
- difficulty: TD. Summit section in S5, bar area in S5 and even S6 depending on the passages we may have to take
- equipment: ice axes, crampons; possibly rope
- consult the avalanche zones before setting out on the mountain.
PARKING & TRANSPORT:
- access by train thanks to the MOB line (Flendruz stop)